Saturday, August 6, 2011

Slow Cooker Green Chile Stew

Are there chile roasting vendors all over your town yet? They are at all of the farmer's markets here in Colorado! I'm kind of a wuss when it comes to spicy stuff, so I make sure to taste test green chiles before I buy them - only the mild ones for me. I first tried this soup at one of our favorite restaurants up in the Rocky Mountains and I was instantly hooked. I've adapted it to make it Thrive friendly - which means you get to skip the 30 minute prep time!


1 Quart Sized Bag of Green Chiles, stems and seeds removed (about 1 1/2c)
1/2c Thrive Chopped Onions
2c Thrive Potato Dices or Potato Chunks
1c Thrive Small White Navy Beans
1c Thrive Freeze Dried Ground Beef or Chicken (optional) 
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced (or 1t garlic powder)
2t Thrive Chicken Bouillon
1t Ground Cumin
1/2t Salt
6c Water

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.

* If fresh roasted green chiles aren't available, you can substitute canned green chiles.

2 comments:

  1. this stew looks fabulous following you on google friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in New Mexico, so I LOVE green chiles. I used to be able to handle the heat really well, but my husband doesn't like spicy, so my taste buds have wimped out a bit since adapting to his tastes. :) This chili sure does sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...