Sunday, July 10, 2011

Whole Wheat Strawberry Yogurt Cake

My daughter has a serious sweet tooth. I find myself constantly telling her that she's eating too much sugar, but really, who's to blame but me? I'm the one who buys her sugary treats at the grocery store and I'm the one who stops at the ice cream shop. I have a sweet tooth, too. Solution: sweet treats made at home with less sugar (and no artificial sweeteners). This lightly sweetened cake is satisfying, and sneaks in both whole grains and whole fruit at the same time! It is delicious on it's own, but feel free to add a light coat of frosting or a dollop of whipped cream. Mine was topped with leftover cheesecake filling from the cheesecake strawberries I made the other night. I added a little bit of strawberry powder from the bottom of the can of freeze dried strawberries to give the topping a pretty pink tint.



Before we get started, preheat your oven to 350 and grease an 8x8 pan.

1c Thrive Freeze Dried Strawberries
1/2c Water

1c Thrive Vanilla Yogurt Bites
1/2c Water

Combine strawberries and water. Set aside. In another small bowl, combine yogurt bites and water and set this aside as well.

1/4c Butter (we used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light)
1/4c Apple Sauce (no sugar added)
1/2c Thrive White Sugar
1/4c Agave Nectar or Honey
2T Thrive Whole Egg Powder
4T Water
1T Thrive Powdered Milk
1t  Vanilla Extract

Whisk these ingredients together, then add the rehydrated yogurt bites. Set aside.

2c Thrive Whole Wheat Flour
1t Baking Powder
1t Baking Soda
Pinch Salt

Mix dry ingredients, then slowly add to wet ingredients. Combine well, then carefully add strawberries and their liquid. Fold gently until strawberries are mixed in, then pour into greased 8x8 dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool before serving.

 Whole cake without frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...