Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Banana Breakfast Bread

Banana bread always makes me think of one thing: fat. I swear that every banana bread recipe I've seen calls for sticks of butter, cups of oil or pounds of sugar. I love a good slab of banana bread as much as the next person, but I would eat it much more often if it was actually good for me. With that in mind, I set out to create this recipe. I wanted to combine the taste I love with whole ingredients. This banana bread is light, high in whole grains, low in fat and low in sugar - but it still tastes great!


1 Packet Instant Yeast
1/4c Thrive White Sugar
2T Thrive Instant Milk Powder
1 1/2c Warm Water
2/3c No Sugar Added Applesauce
2c Thrive Quick Oats, Divided
1c Thrive Whole Wheat Flour
1c Thrive Freeze Dried Banana Slices
1T Ground Cinnamon
2t Thrive Baking Soda
1/2t Thrive Salt
1/2c Chopped Nuts (optional)
2T Thrive Brown Sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a loaf pan. Combine yeast, sugar, warm water and applesauce and set aside. Put one cup of oats in a spice grinder or food processor and process into coarse oat flour. In a large bowl, combine oat flour, whole oats and remaining ingredients (except brown sugar). Stir in wet ingredients until well combined, then pour into greased loaf pan. Smooth top with a spatula and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool before slicing.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try it. I love my (high fat) banana bread, so I'm interested to see how this actually compares. Thanks for creating it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It won't taste like your favorite high fat banana bread - this is light and fluffy. But it still has a nice banana flavor :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...